I was staggered to observe the planning committee meeting on Thursday 15th Nov, where the 6 Labour Councillors voted for a new secondary school in the High Path Estate in South Wimbledon, despite vocal and well-founded concerns from residents and myself as ward Councillor.
The problems with the new school are:
1. Air Quality is bad and there are not enough mitigations in place to protect children’s’ health.
2. Lack of clean outdoor space for up to 1150 pupils to exercise and play
3. A reduction in the neighbouring primary schools playing field
4. Not enough safe walking/cycling space on the main routes to school
5. Neighbouring estate will be a building site for 15 years, detrimental to children’s’ health & learning
6. Rat-running and school run will become absolutely terrible
I do not think enough due consideration was given to air quality, travel to/from school, the inadequate sporting facilities or the impact on residents living nearby. There are better locations for this school.
Why did Merton Labour not listen?
Cllr Nigel Benbow
Abbey Ward Conservative Councillor.